Where Private Guitar Lesson Level 2 introduced the melodic minor scale and the harmonic possibilities represented by the scale, Level 3 does the same with the harmonic minor scale and its chordal possibilities. A mastery of the related triads across the fretboard in the most common keys will be used as an introduction to four-part chords and arpeggios. In addition, you will be introduced to the diminished scale in two octaves across the fretboard. This knowledge will be applied to a final musical piece under the guidance of the instructor.
By the end of Private Guitar Lesson Level 3, you will be able to:
Play the harmonic minor scale in the keys of C, F, Bb, Eb, G, D, and A in two octaves from any degree (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Play the diminished scale (whole step, half step) in the keys of C, F, Bb, Eb, G, D, and A in two octaves from the tonic (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Play triads in major and minor spread (open) voicings starting from any inversion in one octave from the roots of C, F, Bb, Eb, G, D, and A
Play triad arpeggios in major, minor, augmented, and diminished from any chord tone in one octave (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Play four-part chords of Maj7, Min7, Dom7, Min7b5, Dom7sus4, 7#5, Dim7, Maj6, Min6, Min9, 9, 7b9, 7#9, and 13—two forms for each from the roots of C, F, Bb, Eb, G, D, A
Play four-part arpeggios of Min(maj7), Maj7#5, Maj7b5, Min7#5, 7b5, and Dim(Maj7) from any chord tone in one octave (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Read level-appropriate single notes and chords with rhythm notation
- Perform an instructor-approved piece, approximately three minutes in length
Completion of Private Guitar Lesson Level 2 is required.
No Required Textbooks
A recording tool is provided within the course that will allow students to record videos of themselves playing for assignment submission. Alternatively, students can use a digital camera, smartphone, or tablet to record assignments.
- Audio interface such as the IK Multimedia Stealthplug, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Mbox, etc. See the Student Deals page for discounts
- A built-in microphone or an external microphone plugged directly into your computer (via built in ports or an external audio interface)
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
- 500 MB hard drive space
- Speakers or headphones
- Internet connection with at least 4 Mbps download speed ( http://www.speedtest.net to verify or download the Speedtest by Ookla app from your mobile app store)