Bachelor of Arts
• Get a decision within 2 weeks
The Undeclared program provides a pathway of study to all majors in Berklee Online’s bachelor of professional studies degree program. Designed for students with limited or no previous college experience, you’ll have the expert guidance of an Academic Advisor on your journey toward earning a degree. In the Undeclared program, you’ll earn up to 45 credits that will automatically transfer into any one of Berklee Online’s degree majors, allowing you to begin your studies while having the freedom and time to decide on the major that is best suited to meet your educational and career goals.
Things to Know When Considering the Undeclared Option
Who is the Undeclared program best suited for?
The Undeclared program is designed for students who are interested in earning an online bachelor of professional studies degree but aren’t sure in which major they would like to earn a degree. This option is best suited for students who don’t have previous college experience and/or many eligible transfer credits.
If I am Undeclared, can I take courses that are not listed in the Undeclared curriculum?
Yes. We recommend that you work with your Academic Advisor to determine which courses are best suited to meet your educational and career goals, and will also transfer into your preferred major.
If I am in the Undeclared program, when can I declare a major?
Students in the Undeclared program can declare a major at any time and are not required to complete all 45 credits before declaring. We recommend that you contact your Academic Advisor to discuss declaring a major by the time you have completed 33 credits in the program.
How do I declare a major?
When you are ready to declare a major, contact your Academic Advisor. Your Advisor will guide you through the process of declaring a major and also let you know about any additional requirements that may need to be completed at the time of declaration.
What happens if I am not accepted into my preferred major?
Berklee Online offers a variety of degree majors, including a major in Interdisciplinary Music Studies (Create Your Own Major), that allow you to continue studying within your area of interest in the instance that you are not accepted into the major of your choice. Read Less
(45 of 120 Credits)
Concentrate Courses (45 Credits)
Complete one of the following Music Business courses (3 credits):
- OMBUS-110Music Business 101 or OMBUS-125Music Marketing 101 or OMBUS-240Music Business Trends and Strategies
Complete one Composition/Writing (OLART) course from the following (3 credits):
- OLART-111Introduction to College Writing or OLART-201Creative Writing: Literature Studies for Musicians or OLART-215Creative Writing: Poetry or OLART-216Creative Writing: Finding Your Voice
Complete one History (OLART) course from the following (3 credits):
- OLART-170Rock History or OLART-220History of Film Music or OLART-231Art History of the Western European Tradition or OLART-233Music History of the Western World 1: Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque or OLART-234Music History of the Western World 2: Classical, Romantic, and Modern
Complete any four additional Arts/Humanities (OLART) courses from the following (12 credits):
- OLART-100Developing Your Artistry
- OLART-111Introduction to College Writing
- OLART-160Introduction to Digital Cinematography
- OLART-170Rock History
- OLART-201Creative Writing: Literature Studies for Musicians
- OLART-205Game Design Principles
- OLART-215Creative Writing: Poetry
- OLART-216Creative Writing: Finding Your Voice
- OLART-220History of Film Music
- OLART-231Art History of the Western European Tradition
- OLART-233Music History of the Western World 1: Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque
- OLART-234Music History of the Western World 2: Classical, Romantic, and Modern
- OLART-400Career and Job Success in the Music Industry
- OMPRD-250Music Video Editing with Final Cut Pro
- OCDAN-103Introduction to Iconic Dance and Urban Movement
- OCTHR-103Script Analysis for Theater
Complete four Social Sciences (OLSOC) courses from the following (12 credits):
- OLSOC-150The Language of Film and TV
- OLSOC-180Project Management for Musicians
- OLSOC-210Music, Self, and Society
- OLSOC-200Business Communications
- OLSOC-226New Media Economics: Music, Mobile, Gaming, and Online Markets
- OLSOC-307Music Cognition
Complete four Math and Physical/Natural Sciences (OLMSC, OMPRD) courses from the following (12 credits):
- OLMSC-101Music Production 101
- OLMSC-130Applied Mathematics for Musicians
- OLMSC-150Introduction to Computer Programming for Musicians
- OLMSC-260Sampling and Audio Production
- OMPRD-210Audio Fundamentals for Recording
If I am in the Undeclared program, when do I declare a major?Students in the Undeclared program can declare a major at any time and are not required to complete all 45 credits before declaring. We recommend that you contact your Academic Advisor to discuss declaring a major by the time you have completed 33 credits in the program.
How to Apply
• Get a decision within 2 weeks
- Fill out the online application (15 minutes)
- Create a 500-750 word essay, or a 3-5 minute video essay
- Attach your official transcripts
- Ask for two letters of recommendation
Read full undergraduate admissions requirement details here.
Online undergraduate degree tuition vs. campus tuition
Online undergraduate degree tuition is $59,880 (current) / $60,600 (Sept. 2022 onward) for a total of 120 credits (includes associated fees). To get started, this degree program includes a non-refundable $75 application fee.
Read full tuition and associated program fee details for this, and all other undergraduate programs here.
Available Financial Aid
Ready to Return to Berklee or Transfer in Credits from Another Institution to Complete Your Degree?
Students transferring in from an accredited institution can carry over up to 60 credits, and students with previous Berklee experience may be able to transfer even more.
Learn about our different transfer options: