Undergraduate Degree Admissions Information

Tuition and Financial Aid

Online undergraduate degree tuition is $59,880* for 120 credits for all undergraduate majors except the guitar major. Tuition for the guitar major is $64,380. Students taking 10 courses per year can complete the degree in four years at a cost of $14,970 per year. Individual courses cost $1,497*. Our degree programs also include a $75 application fee and a one-time comprehensive fee of $350. Guitar majors will also be charged a $500 private lesson fee for each private lesson course.

Full-Time Cost of Attendance

The cost of attendance comprises charges billed directly to the student by Berklee Online as well as indirect costs that go along with attending school. For students receiving financial aid, the total cost of attendance reflects the maximum amount you can receive in scholarships, grants, and loans. Students attending full-time can complete the degree in 10 semesters (three years).

Itemization of Charges for All Majors*

Admission Application Fee (non-refundable) $75
Tuition per course $1,497
One-time Comprehensive Entering Student Fee (non-refundable) $350

All Majors Except Guitar

Required Charges Tuition (based on 12 credits a semester for 3 semesters a year) $17,964
One-time Comprehensive Fee $350
Total $18,314

Guitar Majors Only

Required Charges Tuition (based on 14 credits a semester for 3 semesters a year) $20,958
One-time Comprehensive Fee $350
Private Lesson Fee ($500 per course)** $1500
Total (Guitar Major only) $22,808

Indirect Costs

Indirect costs are expenses related to going to school that will not appear on a student's bill.

Estimated Indirect Costs
Books and/or Software $600
Loan Fees $54
Personal Expenses $680
Room & Board $7,560
Transportation $2,154
Total $11,048
*Tuition and fees are subject to change.
**Students pursuing the Guitar Major are required to complete 9 levels of private lessons. Each private lesson is 2 credits. A $500 private lesson fee will be charged for each level.

Students providing proof of military status are eligible for a reduction in tuition.

There is a $150 late payment fee assessed per semester by the finance department for all payments submitted after the tuition due date.

The one-time comprehensive fee is a one-time fee charged to all entering students. The fee is assessed to cover costs associated with supporting online learning technology that augments the students’ academic experience.

Berklee Online Degree TMS Payment Plan Policy

As a courtesy to our degree students, we do offer a flexible payment plan each semester through Tuition Management Systems (TMS). This plan allows students and families to spread payments throughout the semester beyond the tuition due date. The first installment is due upon enrollment in the plan, along with an enrollment fee of $25. To enroll through TMS, please visit berkleeonline.afford.com

Additionally, students can contact our Finance Department at finance@online.berklee.edu or 617-747-2146, ext. 5 for further information.

Federal Financial Aid

Berklee Online undergraduate degree students who are US citizens or permanent residents are strongly encouraged to apply for federal financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is an online application used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid, including federal grants, loans, and some state funds.

All students should plan ahead and develop a sound financial plan that they can implement regardless of the outcome of their federal financial aid application. Federal financial aid is designed to supplement your own contribution to your education, and the more sources of funding you have available the more successful you will be in financing your entire degree program.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Log in to studentaid.gov to begin filling out your application. You can also fill out and submit the FAFSA using the myStudentAid app for iOS or Android.

Use Berklee’s federal school code—002126—when prompted. For assistance with completing the FAFSA, please contact the studentaid.gov Student Support Center or their Customer Service at 1-800-433-3243.

Which FAFSA® Form Should I Complete?

Plan to attend fall of 2021 and/or winter, spring, summer semesters of 2022?

Plan to attend the fall of 2022 and/or winter, spring or summer semesters of 2023?

Ready to Get Started?

Berklee's federal school code is 002126.

Types of Financial Aid

Federal Grants

The Federal Pell Grant and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)* are federal grants awarded to eligible undergraduate degree students with high financial need who have not already earned an undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree. 

A student’s EFC (Expected Family Contribution) is an automatic calculation, based on tax and income information, that is used to determine Federal Pell Grant eligibility. Please note that a student’s EFC and Federal Pell Grant amount can change during the file review and verification process.

Federal Pell Grants are awarded based on your course load in a given semester, and may not be available to eligible students who enroll in less than a half-time course load (6 credits).

*Note that the FSEOG is a limited fund, issued based on fund availability, with preference given to students who file their FAFSA early and demonstrate high need.

Federal Loans

Any degree student who files a FAFSA (and is a US citizen or permanent resident) will be automatically considered for federal loan eligibility. There are two types of federal loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. Both are considered self-help financial aid that must be paid back with interest.

  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan: This is a loan for which the government pays the interest while you are in school, during grace periods, and during any deferment periods.
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: This is a loan for which you are responsible for paying all the interest that accrues from the date of the first disbursement until the loan is paid in full.

These loans are available to eligible US citizens or permanent residents attending at least half time (6 credits) in an undergraduate degree program. Students who enroll in less than half time (5 credits or less) will not be eligible to receive federal loans. Loan amounts do not increase if a student is enrolled in more than six credits.

After being awarded, first-time borrowers of federal loans must complete an online Master Promissory Note (MPN) and an Entrance Counseling session in order to be eligible for the loans. 

To determine estimated payback amounts, you can use a repayment calculator. Please note that the amount of repayment depends on the type of loan you received, the amount you borrowed, the interest rate, and the length of the repayment plan.

Federal PLUS Loan

If you are the parent of a dependent undergraduate student, or you are a graduate student, and have completed a FAFSA with Berklee you can be considered for Federal PLUS loan eligibility by applying on the Student Federal Aid site. Independent undergraduate students are not eligible for the Federal PLUS loan.

Federal PLUS loans often help cover the gap after any FAFSA-based funds are applied. These programs are offered by the U.S. Department of Education and (relative to some private loan lenders) offer lower interest rates. Borrowers must pass a credit check, although the Federal PLUS loan’s credit check is less stringent than other lenders. Students must be enrolled half-time in a minimum of 6 credits to be eligible to receive a PLUS loan. Students who enroll in less than half-time (5 credits or less) are not eligible to receive any federal loans.

Please familiarize yourself with the current federal loan interest rates.

First-time borrowers of federal loans must complete an online Master Promissory Note (MPN) and an Entrance Counseling session in order to be eligible for the loans. Borrowers who have initially been denied a PLUS loan may also be required to complete PLUS Loan Credit Counseling.

Financial Aid Policies and Procedures

Aid Distribution

Undergraduate degree students will have their total yearly federal financial aid evenly divided between a maximum of three semesters of study in an academic year. Berklee Online undergraduate degree students are awarded federal financial aid assuming a half-time (6 credit) course load. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits to be eligible to receive federal loans, and no additional federal loan amounts are awarded beyond 6 credits.

*Berklee Online academic years run from fall of one year to summer of the next, for four total semesters. Starting your program in Winter, Spring, or Summer makes your academic year and distribution of aid three, two, and one semesters respectively (see illustration below).

Aid Distribution Based on Start Date - Undergraduate

aid distribution per semester start infographic

Maximum Federal Aid Limits

Students who are continuing their education and have previously borrowed federal loans should log into National Student Loan Data Systems (NSLDS) to ensure they are within their lifetime Pell Grant and loan limits. If you are close to your limits, please develop a sound financial plan to meet your costs. Students who are close to or meeting their lifetime limits will be notified by the Office of Student Financial Services once the FAFSA is received and file review completed.

Students who are pursuing a second bachelor’s degree will not be able to utilize federal student loans, and may have limited to no federal pell grant eligibility. Alternative loans may be an option, but we encourage you to explore all other financing methods.

Maintaining Federal Financial Aid Eligibility

To remain eligible for federal financial aid in a semester, undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits that fulfill requirements of their degree program and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines. Students who fall below 6 credits, or enroll in courses outside of their degree requirements, will not be eligible for federal financial aid for that semester, need to complete Exit Counseling, and may go into loan repayment.

Graduate students must be enrolled at least 3 credits in a semester and meet the graduate Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines to remain eligible for federal financial aid.

Learn more about Federal Financial Aid.

College Transcripts

Students who previously attended another college or university will need to submit those official transcripts to Berklee Online as part of the application process. In the event that a student does not submit all transcripts and the FAFSA is flagged for Unusual Enrollment History, the Office of Student Financial Services will need to obtain those missing transcripts before the file review can commence and further aid eligibility be determined.

Federal Verification

The U.S. Department of Education or Berklee may select certain FAFSA records for a process called verification. If your FAFSA record is selected, there are additional financial aid requirements necessary to verify the accuracy of the FAFSA information and confirm your financial aid eligibility. You will be notified if you have been selected for verification by the Department of Education in the Student Aid Report (SAR) after you file your FAFSA. These requirements typically include tax and wage information, but other documents might be necessary to complete verification.

It is important to provide any requested documents as quickly as possible to ensure the timely processing of your aid.

Students who are selected for verification for the 2022/2023 academic year will have their verification processed by our partner, Inceptia. Please click here to learn more.

Students who are selected for verification for the 2021/2022 academic year will have their verification processed by Berklee Student Financial Services staff, and will receive relevant email communication with their process.

Please click here for more detailed information on the Berklee verification process.

Exit Counseling

Berklee is required to send a notice of exit counseling to all students who have received a subsidized, unsubsidized, or PLUS loan under the Direct Loan Program or the FFEL Program and meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Drop below half-time enrollment in a semester
  • Graduate
  • Leave school or do not otherwise enroll
  • Fully withdraw from a semester

Exit counseling provides important information to prepare you to repay your federal student loan(s).

Loan repayment generally begins after a six month grace period. If you re-enroll in school at least half time before your six month grace period expires, you will not go into repayment and your grace period will reset.

Other Aid Opportunities

State Grants

Almost every state education agency has at least one grant or scholarship available to residents, and many have a long list of student aid programs. Select your state to find out what financial aid programs may be available to you through your state education agency.

Alternative Loan Options

Many private lenders offer educational loans to students and families to assist with bridging the gap between your available resources and your total educational costs. These loans are credit-based, with variable interest rates, and should be considered as a last resort once all other sources of funding have been exhausted. You can explore these loans on ELM Select, and Credible, which contain a curated list of lenders that our students have borrowed from over the last two years. Berklee is no way affiliated with, nor accepts gifts or benefits from, any private loan lenders.

Employer Tuition Assistance

Some companies or schools will pay the tuition for their employee to take a course or program. Please contact a representative within your company or school district to learn more about this benefit.

Tuition assistance forms or a purchase order from a school or employer may be accepted. The tuition assistance form or purchase order needs to include the following items:

  • Student's name
  • Course or courses covered
  • Tuition amount covered
  • Semester and dates covered
  • Name and address where invoices will be sent
  • Student signature if applicable

Tuition assistance forms can be emailed to finance@online.berklee.edu, faxed to 1-617-747-2149, or mailed to: Berklee Online
1140 Boylston Street
MS-855 BM
Boston, MA 02215
Attn: Finance Department

These forms must be received by the end of the enrollment period of the upcoming semester. After reviewing the forms submitted, if they are approved, the amount the employer is paying will be applied to the tuition and fees due. If there is a balance remaining the student will be responsible for paying this amount prior to the start of the course. Once this balance is paid, you will be officially enrolled in the course. You will receive an email that your enrollment has been approved.

The student will be responsible for any approved amount that is not paid by their employer. Student services could be suspended for failure to pay tuition in a timely manner. Questions should be sent to the Finance Department at finance@online.berklee.edu. We are also available to help you at 1-866-BERKLEE or 1-617-747-2146 if outside the US, Monday through Friday, 9 AM-5 PM, US Eastern Time.

*Tuition assistance can only be used for tuition and registration fees. Tuition assistance cannot be used for books or required software.

Financial Aid FAQs

What is Berklee Online’s federal school code for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
When filing the FAFSA, please use Berklee's federal school code: 002126.
What tax year should I report when filing the FAFSA?

Students and parents will report calendar year 2019 income tax information on the 2021–2022 FAFSA.

Year 2018 tax information is used for the 2020–2021 FAFSA.

In order to speed up your file review timeline, we strongly recommend that students and parents use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer tax information directly into the FAFSA.

I need to cancel or return my loan. What do I do?

You have the right to cancel your federal loans before they are disbursed, or within 14 days of being notified of disbursement. Please submit a loan declination form to cancel your federal loans.

Most private loan lenders have a 30- or 60-day deadline for sending either all or part of a loan back. Once you are outside this window, the parent or student may be responsible for loan fees, several payments, and any interest that has accrued. We recommend that you check with your lender before signing your loan agreement to clarify their return-of-funds policy.

How do I submit verification documents?
All verification documents are collected through our secure document collection portal, Campus Logic. First time users will need to create an account by verifying their information. Once you create your account your required documents will be listed and you will be able to receive emails and text messages with updates to your account.
I need to back off to part-time status or take time off. What will happen to my aid?

To remain eligible for federal student aid, undergraduate students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) in a semester. Graduate students must be enrolled in 3 credits to be eligible for federal aid.

Students who graduate, withdraw, or drop below half-time will need to complete exit counseling and may go into loan repayment.

Berklee Online students do not need registrar approval for part-time enrollment, but should speak with their academic advisor regarding their semester course load, and to ensure registered courses count towards the completion of their degree.

I need to withdraw from a course or from the semester. How will my aid be affected?

Per federal regulations, students who receive Title IV federal financial aid and who fully withdraw from all classes in a semester on or before the 60 percent point in the semester (in calendar days) are entitled to keep only the portion of Title IV federal student aid that they have earned to that point. If a student who is receiving federal financial aid withdraws after the 60 percent point of the semester, that student is considered to have earned all of the federal student aid for that semester.

Students who partially withdraw from the semester will not have their aid impacted.

If you graduate, withdraw, or drop below half-time, you are required to complete exit counseling. This can be done online athttps://studentaid.gov/.

For more information about these and other financial aid related topics, consult the Policy Handbook for Students.

Please contact the Office of the Registrar for more information on the withdrawal policy.
What is dependency status? Can I be considered independent from my parents?

For the purposes of federal financial aid, students are considered dependent on their parents until they are 24 years of age, regardless of financial support. There are circumstances, however, when a student under the age of 24 may be considered independent.

The student can be considered independent if they:

  • are married;
  • are providing more than half the support for their child;
  • are living with and providing more than half the support for somebody else;
  • are in a master’s or doctorate program;
  • are an orphan or a ward of the court (at any time since age 13);
  • are currently serving on active duty in the US armed forces for purposes other than training;
  • are a veteran of the US armed forces;
  • are an emancipated minor, as determined by the state of their legal residence;
  • are or were in legal guardianship, as determined by a court in the student’s state of legal residence;
  • have been declared an unaccompanied youth who is homeless by their high school or school district (on or after July 1, 2008);
  • have been declared an unaccompanied youth who is homeless by a director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the US Department of Housing (on or after July 1, 2008); or,
  • have been declared an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or was self-supporting and at risk of being homeless by the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program (on or after July 1, 2008).

Verification documentation will be requested if a student claims any of these circumstances. Students who don’t fall into the above circumstances can be declared independent only in extreme circumstances.

What do I need to do academically to make sure I do not lose my aid?

In order to remain eligible for federal student aid, all Berklee students are required to consistently meet or exceed satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards each semester. 

Berklee Online Undergraduate students have different SAP policies, so please be sure to familiarize yourself with the information for your program.

I’m in a certificate program at Berklee Online. Can I use federal financial aid?

You must be a degree-seeking student at Berklee Online to be eligible to use federal financial aid. However, certificate students might be eligible for veterans' benefits and  private loans.

Does Berklee Online offer a payment plan?

To meet the needs of our students, we offer a flexible payment plan each semester administered by Tuition Management Systems (TMS). This plan can be utilized throughout the Degree program and allows students and families to spread payments throughout the semester beyond the tuition due date. The first installment is due upon enrollment in the plan, along with an enrollment fee of $25. To enroll, please visit berkleeonline.afford.com

Additionally, students can contact TMS directly at service@afford.com or 1-800-722-4867 (or 1-401-921-3999 outside the US and Canada).

I am an international student entering Berklee Online for the first time. Can I apply for financial aid?
Federal financial aid is reserved for US Citizens and permanent residents. For information regarding international loan and grant options, please visit edupass.org.
How do I apply for private scholarships?
You are encouraged to search and apply for as many private scholarships as possible. We have curated scholarship search engines and specific music-related opportunities here.

Have Questions? We’re here to help.

If you’d like to talk to a member of our team, we're available Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM ET.

Office of Student Financial Services

617-747-2274 • financialaid@berklee.edu