Master of Music
Music Production Degree
The Master of Music in Music Production combines the most creative, innovative music production techniques with the power of DAW-based music technology tools. The program provides a rigorous training in advanced recording, mixing, and mastering, in addition to focused work on critical areas such as vocal production, audio for visual media, and business sustainability for independent producers.
Through the program, you develop a professional framework and vocabulary for analyzing production qualities in music and learn how to leverage research into how people perceive sound to strengthen the connection between their music and listeners. You'll also gain the knowledge and skills to achieve professional, effective musical collaborations with high-quality results, often in distributed contexts, from your studio/production company.
The program prepares you to be skillful producers in a variety of contemporary styles and formats, with a culminating experience that allows you to define your unique contribution as a music producer and/or advance the field of music production.
The program is designed to be completed in one year. You will complete 12 courses at a recommended pace of three courses per semester over four 12-week semesters. Throughout the program, you will participate in a community of highly engaged and motivated peers and faculty committed to high-level learning and collaboration.
By the end of the program, you will be able to:
Plan and execute the design of a professional-level critical listening, recording, and music production environment
Evaluate music production techniques in a variety of styles using a professional framework and vocabulary
Plan, lead, and deliver high-quality, expressive music production projects that maximize the emotional impact of any recording
Make professional sounding recordings in any setting, from studio-grade recording environments to portable studios with minimal gear
Develop and apply advanced skills necessary to produce commercially-viable vocal performances for a contemporary client base
Exploit various income-generating opportunities for independent studio production, in addition to negotiating important contractual and financial documents required in professional production contexts to ensure the most favorable terms for business growth and sustainability
Explain the relationship between sound and human perception in terms of the underlying mechanisms and limitations of the hearing system and apply this information to enhance engineering and mixing projects
Apply advanced mixing skills that involve deep understanding of balance, EQ, dynamics, spatial effects, automation, pitch/time correction, and mixing for digital streaming services
Deliver high-quality, professional masters for various platforms, including vinyl, lossy codecs, and streaming platforms
Apply the tools, techniques, workflows, and creative considerations necessary for producing professional audio for film, television, and related visual media
Undertake independent research and propose, develop, and present a culminating experience that represents your unique contribution as a music producer and/or advances the field of music production
Required Online Courses
Complete the following requirements in the recommended order listed here:
- OMPRD-507Architectural, Acoustic, and Audio System Design for the Modern Music Production Studio
- OMPRD-525Critical Analysis of Music Production Techniques
- OMPRD-577Music Production: Maximizing Emotion through Performance, Arrangement, and Sound
- OMPRD-588Creative Recording and Editing Techniques in Music Production
- OMPRD-599Commercial Vocal Production
- OMPRD-637Psychoacoustics in Music Production
- OMPRD-650Advanced Mixing Techniques
- OMPRD-690Business of Independent Music Production
- OMPRD-693Culminating Experience in Music Production 1
- OMPRD-662Advanced Audio/Music Mastering: Theory and Practice
- OMPRD-677Audio/Music Production for Visual Media
- OMPRD-695Culminating Experience in Music Production 2
How to Apply
- Fill out the online application (15 minutes).
- Create a 500-750 word essay, or a 3-5 minute video essay, in which you tell us about your background and why you are applying to the program, in addition to describing the project you intend to pursue in the program.
- Compile your résumé or CV.
- Prepare three examples of recently recorded work, along with a detailed explanation of your role in creating the work.
- Attach your official transcripts.
- Ask for two letters of recommendation.
Online graduate degree tuition vs. competitor's campus-based programs
Online graduate degree tuition is $33,120 for 36 credits. To get started, this degree program includes a $75 (non-refundable) application fee.
The domestic album that I'm most proud of is Ready to Die by The Notorious B.I.G. because I'm an artist on the album. I actually have a spoken part on the album, and I mixed a couple of the hits. ‘Juicy’ was one of the hits that I remember mixing, and ‘The Warning,’ which I mixed, is on there also.
Prince Charles Alexander
Producer, Mary J Blige, Faith Evans ● Engineer, Notorious B.I.G., Diddy ● Mixing, Alicia Keys, Destiny’s Child ● Instructor, Commercial Vocal Production
The thing about having a hit is that nobody in the music industry can tell you whether a song is a hit or not. That’s determined by outside forces, and to me that’s part of the fun. It’s like playing the lottery: You never know what’s going to happen, but sometimes you win.
Producer, Engineer, Radiohead, Hole, Lou Reed, Dinosaur Jr. ● Instructor, Culminating Experience in Music Production 1 & 2
I had been Prince’s engineer for over four years, and I think I did about fifteen years’ worth of work in that time period, because of the number of hours.
Producer, David Byrne, Barenaked Ladies ● Mixer, Queen, Public Image Ltd. ● Instructor, Psychoacoustics