Private Guitar Lesson Level 6
Private Guitar Lesson Level 6 revisits the melodic minor scale and its harmonic permutations. You will explore melodic minor in all keys and in three octaves. Knowledge of the whole tone scale will be extended to all keys as well. Chord inversions will be expanded upon and voice leading will be practiced by way of triads in C melodic minor. You will master four-part arpeggios and chord voicings in all keys, knowledge which will be applied to a final original musical piece under the guidance of the instructor.
By the end of Private Guitar Lesson Level 6, you will be able to:
Play the melodic minor scale in all keys from any degree or mode in three octaves (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Play the whole tone scale in all keys in three octaves from the tonic (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Play triads diatonic to C melodic minor, voice-led through six cycles from Root, first and second inversions, close and spread.
Play minor triad arpeggios three octaves from any chord tone, all keys (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Play four-part chords of Min(maj7), Maj7#5, Maj7b5, Min7#5, 7b5, and Dim(Maj7) in all inversions
Play four-part arpeggios of Min(maj7), Maj7#5, Maj7b5, Min7#5, 7b5, and Dim(Maj7) in two octaves from any chord tone, all keys (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Read level-appropriate single notes and chords with rhythm notation
- Perform an instructor-approved performance piece
Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements
Prerequisite Courses, Knowledge, and/or Skills
Completion of Private Guitar Lesson Level 5 is required.
- No textbooks required
- Electric or acoustic guitar
- Students are required to capture their instrumental performance, as well as monitor audio output. Options include:
- Input (one required):
- Instrument connected directly to audio interface (recommended electric option; alternatively, the microphone options below can be used with amplified instruments)
- XLR microphone and audio interface (recommended acoustic option)
- USB microphone
- Built-in computer/mobile device microphone
- Output (one required):
- Headphones (recommended option; required if multitracking and/or input monitoring a microphone)
- Studio monitors and audio interface
- Built-in or external speakers
- Input (one required):
- Note: Depending on your setup, you may also need XLR/instrument cables and a microphone stand.
General Course Requirements
Below are the minimum requirements to access the course environment and participate in Live Chats. Please make sure to also check the Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements section above, and ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements for all software needed for your course.
- Latest version of Google Chrome
- Zoom meeting software
- Speakers or headphones
- External or internal microphone
- Broadband Internet connection