Private Guitar Lesson Level 7
Private Guitar Lesson Level 7 builds upon the knowledge gained in earlier levels regarding the harmonic minor scale and its chordal possibilities. You will also revisit the diminished scale. Both scales will be studied in all keys. Chord inversions will be expanded upon and voice leading will be practiced by way of triads in C harmonic minor. You will also explore harmonic minor four-part chord forms further, knowledge which will be applied to a final musical piece under the guidance of the instructor.
By the end of Private Guitar Lesson Level 7, you will be able to:
Play the harmonic minor scale in all keys from any degree or mode in three octaves (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Play the diminished scale in all keys in three octaves from the tonic (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Play triads diatonic to C harmonic minor, voice led through six cycles from Root, first and second inversions, close and spread.
Play augmented triad arpeggios three octaves from any chord tone, all keys (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Play four-part chords of Maj7, Min7, Dom7, Min7b5, Dom7sus4, 7#5, and Dim7 in all inversions and all keys
Play four-part arpeggios of Maj7, Min7, Dom7, Min7b5, Dom7sus4, 7#5, and Dim7 in three octaves from any chord tone, all keys (min. tempo of 60 beats per minute)
Read level-appropriate single notes and chords with rhythm notation
- Perform an instructor-approved performance piece
Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements
Prerequisite Courses, Knowledge, and/or Skills
Completion of Private Guitar Lesson Level 6 is required.
- No textbooks required
- Electric or acoustic guitar
- Students are required to capture their instrumental performance, as well as monitor audio output. Options include:
- Input (one required):
- Instrument connected directly to audio interface (recommended electric option; alternatively, the microphone options below can be used with amplified instruments)
- XLR microphone and audio interface (recommended acoustic option)
- USB microphone
- Built-in computer/mobile device microphone
- Output (one required):
- Headphones (recommended option; required if multitracking and/or input monitoring a microphone)
- Studio monitors and audio interface
- Built-in or external speakers
- Input (one required):
- Note: Depending on your setup, you may also need XLR/instrument cables and a microphone stand.
General Course Requirements
Below are the minimum requirements to access the course environment and participate in Live Chats. Please make sure to also check the Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements section above, and ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements for all software needed for your course.
- Latest version of Google Chrome
- Zoom meeting software
- Speakers or headphones
- External or internal microphone
- Broadband Internet connection