Private Piano Lesson Level 5
Private Piano Lesson Level 5 builds upon the skills developed in Level 4. You will be introduced to natural, harmonic, traditional, and real melodic minor scales and arpeggios in the keys of G♭, B, E, A, D, and G hands together, four octaves at 72 BPM, in several rhythmic groupings. You will also be introduced to minor triadic chord progressions in those minor keys.
You will be introduced to the concept and application of basic upper-structure triad chord voicings for comping and the harmonization of melodies.
You will develop rhythmic skill and awareness, muscle memory, and hand strength, and work on technical exercises to reinforce the skills required for Level 5.
You will be introduced to a Level 5 traditionally notated piece in any style, which you will learn from a specifically notated score, working with your instructor to adhere to all expressive, fingering, touch, and technical elements.
You will work on a Level 5 chord symbol improvisatory piece, which can be in any contemporary style, such as jazz, pop, R&B, rock, blues, and more. The harmonic texture required for Level 5 is to play the melody harmonized using intermediate open position, left hand close position with chord tones and tensions and upper-structure triad voicings. You will work with your instructor to arrange an approved piece employing proper harmonization and voice leading, expressive elements, fingering, and technical elements.
You will continue to study improvisation concepts, including appropriate melodic and harmonic vocabulary for specific song styles, rhythmic and phrasing principles, and technical considerations. You will also study improvisation on more difficult 12-bar blues keys, easier multi-key-center tunes, and/or a diatonic chord progression in various styles. You will then apply improvisation concepts to your chord symbol improvisatory tune. Improvisation will NOT be part of your final exam or final grade consideration. Grading considerations based on improvisation will not begin until Level 6.
By the end of Private Piano Lesson Level 5, you will be able to:
- Perform harmonic, traditional, and real melodic minor scales in the keys of G♭, B, E, A, D, and G, hands together, four octaves at 72 BPM, in rhythmic groupings of 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, and 4:1
- Perform minor root-position triad arpeggios in the keys of G♭, B, E, A, D, and G, hands together, four octaves at 72 BPM, in rhythmic groupings of 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, and 4:1
- Perform minor triadic chord progressions I IV V I and I VI II6 V I in G♭, B, E, A, D, and G
- Perform a technical exercise designed to develop rhythmic skill and awareness, hand strength, and muscle memory essential for conventional movement and movement specific to Level 5 repertoire
- Perform a Level 5 traditionally notated piece in any style
- Perform a Level 5 piece in the chord symbol improvisatory style, right-hand melody harmonized using intermediate open position and upper structure triad voicings
- Employ melodic and rhythmic improvisation concepts to a 12-bar blues in more difficult keys, multi-key-center tunes, and/or diatonic chord progressions
Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements
Completion of Private Piano Lesson Level 4 is required.
- Modern Piano Scales by Susanna Sifter (Berklee Press, 2022)
- Students are required to create notation and submit it in PDF format. Options include:
- Notation software such as Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore (free), Dorico, etc.
- Handwritten notation captured by photo or a scanner
- Piano or keyboard instrument with 88 weighted action keys equipped with a sustain pedal
- If using a MIDI keyboard controller, a sound source, such as a high-quality piano sample library on your computer, is also required.
- If using a digital piano or keyboard workstation without built in speakers, an audio interface is also required.
After enrolling, please check the Getting Started section of your course for potential deals on required materials. Our Student Deals page also features several discounts you can take advantage of as a current student. Please contact email@example.com for any questions.
General Course Requirements
Below are the minimum requirements to access the course environment and participate in Live Chats. Please make sure to also check the Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements section above, and ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements for all software needed for your course.
- Latest version of Google Chrome
- Zoom meeting software
- Speakers or headphones
- External or internal microphone
- Broadband Internet connection