Private Piano Lesson Level 8
Private Piano Lesson Level 8 builds upon the skills developed in Level 7. You will be introduced to diminished and whole-tone scales in 12 keys performed hands together, four octaves at 72 BPM, in rhythmic groupings of 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, and 4:1. You will also work on major scales in 3rds or 10ths and 6ths in 12 keys performed hands together, four octaves at 72 BPM, in rhythmic groupings of 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, and 4:1.
You will work on technique exercises with attention to rhythmic skill and awareness, and attention to hand position and posture. You will be introduced to playing parts in a variety of styles, including pop, funk, R&B, gospel, blues, and neo soul.
You will learn a traditionally notated piece from a specifically notated score, working with your instructor to adhere to all expressive, fingering, touch, and technical elements. This piece will afford you the opportunity to demonstrate advanced stylistic awareness.
Two Level 8 chord symbol improvisatory pieces will be introduced. One can be in any contemporary style, such as jazz, pop, R&B, rock, blues, and more. The second should utilize previously covered techniques. You will work with your instructor to arrange an approved piece employing proper harmonization and voice leading, expressive elements, fingering, and technical elements. These pieces will afford you the opportunity to demonstrate advanced stylistic awareness.
You will learn Mixolydian triads for comping in various styles. and continue to study improvisation concepts, including appropriate melodic and harmonic vocabulary for specific song styles, rhythmic and phrasing principles, and technical considerations, including pop, funk, R&B, gospel, blues, and neo soul. You will then apply improvisation concepts to your chord symbol improvisatory tune. Improvisation is required on your chord symbol improvisatory tune for the final exam.
By the end of Private Piano Lesson Level 8, you will be able to:
- Perform diminished and whole-tone scales in 12 keys, hands together, four octaves at 72 BPM, in rhythmic groupings of 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, and 4:1
- Perform major scales in 3rds or 10ths and 6ths in 12 keys performed hands together, four octaves at 72 BPM, in rhythmic groupings of 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, and 4:1
- Perform a technical exercise designed to develop hand strength and muscle memory essential for conventional movement and movement specific to Level 8 repertoire
- Perform a Level 8 traditionally notated piece in any style demonstrating advanced stylistic awareness
- Perform a Level 8 piece in the chord symbol improvisatory style demonstrating advanced stylistic awareness
- Perform a piece in a pop, funk, R&B, gospel, blues, or neo soul style, or other approved contemporary style
- Improvise rhythmically and melodically on the chord symbol improvisatory piece
- Perform Mixolydian triad drills in 12 keys
Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements
Completion of Private Piano Lesson Level 7 is required.
- Modern Piano Scales by Susanna Sifter (Berklee Press, 2022)
- Students are required to create notation and submit it in PDF format. Options include:
- Notation software such as Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore (free), Dorico, etc.
- Handwritten notation captured by photo or a scanner
- Piano or keyboard instrument with 88 weighted action keys equipped with a sustain pedal
- If using a MIDI keyboard controller, a sound source, such as a high-quality piano sample library on your computer, is also required.
- If using a digital piano or keyboard workstation without built in speakers, an audio interface is also required.
After enrolling, please check the Getting Started section of your course for potential deals on required materials. Our Student Deals page also features several discounts you can take advantage of as a current student. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
General Course Requirements
Below are the minimum requirements to access the course environment and participate in Live Chats. Please make sure to also check the Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements section above, and ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements for all software needed for your course.
- Latest version of Google Chrome
- Zoom meeting software
- Speakers or headphones
- External or internal microphone
- Broadband Internet connection