Professional Film Scoring Skills 1: Collaboration and Communication
Course Code: OCOMP-577
This course focuses on maximizing the composer’s relationship with a director or producer. We’ll explore different collaboration and communication styles, as well as how to manage the process of a collaboration from being hired through the final delivery. You will work with student filmmakers to gain experience collaborating directly with a client and managing a working relationship. Business skills for film composers are also covered, focusing on contracts and rights, and working within a budget.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Present a director with suitable demos
- Revise and rewrite themes for a director
- Present cues to a director and receive and interpret feedback in a positive spirit
- Anticipate the steps of being hired to score a studio picture
- Develop strategies for how to aesthetically and stylistically approach a film
- Negotiate fees and contracts
- Interview and take a meeting successfully
- Navigate power struggles between producers and directors
- Make effective use of a budget for a package deal
SyllabusSyllabus coming soon.
RequirementsRequirements coming soon.
General Course Requirements
Below are the minimum requirements to access the course environment and participate in live chats. Please make sure to also check the Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements section above, and ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements for all software needed for your course.
- Latest version of Google Chrome
- Zoom meeting software (available in the course when joining your first chat)
- Speakers or headphones
- External or internal Microphone
- Broadband Internet connection