Getting Certificate Course...

Skip to main content

School Info, Enrollment & Policies

General School Information

Online School FAQs

How do I enroll in a course or certificate program?
Enrolling in a course or certificate program is easy and can be done completely online. Please check the How to Enroll section of this website for more information. You can also contact our admissions team directly at 1.866.BERKLEE (1.866.237.5533) or 1.617.747.2146 if outside the U.S. for help with enrolling.

How do I take a course online?

Each week, your instructor will post a new lesson. You can log on and work on the material anytime throughout that week. It should take approximately 10-12 hours per week to complete the lessons and assignments, more or less time may be required based on a student’s level of experience.

Is online learning for me?

Click here to learn more about attending our classes online.

Who are the instructors?

Our instructors are Berklee faculty and widely-recognized experts in their field.

How long are the courses?

Berklee Online courses are 12-weeks long.

How many credits do I need to take to be considered part-time and full-time?

To be considered part-time you would need to take 2 courses (6 credits) in a term.

To be considered full-time you would need to take 4 courses (12 credits) in a term.

How long are the certificate programs? How long will it take to complete a certificate program?

The amount of time it will take to complete a program will vary depending on the number of courses you take each term and if you opt to skip a term during your program. Below is an average of how long it will take to complete the program:

Professional Certificate Programs contain 3, 4, or 5 courses and can be completed within 12-18 months.

Advanced Professional Certificate Programs contain 8-12 courses and can be completed within 2-3 years.

How many courses can I take at a time?

We urge students to consider how much time they have to dedicate to the required work before enrolling in multiple courses in a single term. If you are interested in taking more than two courses in a term, we recommend you contacting admissions to discuss your schedule. Students wishing to take more than four courses in a term require approval by the Berklee Online Registrar’s Office.

Can I repeat a course I have already taken?

Students may enroll in and receive a grade for a course taken for a second or subsequent time. Only the highest grade will be computed in the cumulative GPA. The repetition of a course will not eliminate the previous grade from the student’s record, nor will any additional credit toward a certificate be earned by repeating a course. Additional tuition and fees will apply.

I have taken a non-credit or CEU course with Berklee Online in the past, can I apply it towards a certificate program?

No. All courses in the certificate program must be taken for credit. Students who have completed one or more of the courses in a certificate program as non-credit should contact the Berklee Online Registrar’s Office at to discuss options for completing the program.

I have taken a credit-bearing Berklee Online course, can I use it towards a certificate program?

If a student has successfully completed only credit-bearing courses with Berklee Online, the student can apply for a waiver of the course requirement in the certificate program. If a waiver is approved, the student will not be required to retake the course. The cost of the waived course will be deducted from the total price of the certificate program. Courses in progress cannot be waived into a program until a passing grade has been issued. Courses enrolled from another Berklee Online account, non-credit courses and CEU courses cannot be waived into a certificate program. We require that students use only one e-mail address/account associated with their course schedule.

To apply for a waiver, send a request in writing to the Berklee Online Registrar’s Office and include your name, the certificate program you are enrolled in, and the course you would like to have waived. Requests for a waiver can be emailed to

I have completed a Berklee Online certificate program, can I use it toward a certificate program of higher value?

If a student has successfully completed a certificate program and wishes to apply the courses within to a higher-level program, they can do so. Berklee Online will waive the completed courses which are in the new program towards the higher-level certificate. In this case, the student will retain the original certificate and be awarded the second certificate once he/she completes the program.

I am taking a credit-bearing course now that is in my program. Can I waive this into the certificate program?

Courses in progress cannot be waived into a program until a passing grade has been earned. Once a passing grade is posted, students should contact the Berklee Online Registrar’s Office at to request this course be waived into their program.

I am currently enrolled in a certificate program. Can I transfer to a different certificate program?

If a student finds that the certificate program they are enrolled in is not the right one for them, the student can transfer to a different certificate program. To do so, send an email to for approval. Students may transfer any successfully completed courses that are required in the new certificate program. The tuition difference, if applicable, must be paid prior to taking the first course in the new certificate program. This applies to students who have selected to pay the full amount of their program up front in order to receive a 10% tuition reduction.

I no longer see my certificate program listed on the Berklee Online website. Is my program still valid?

In preparation for the launch of our online graduate degree programs, we reorganized our certificate programs into two tiers: Professional and Advanced Professional. Some certificate programs were eliminated and others had changes made to their requirements. Students enrolled in a program that is no longer being offered were not affected by these changes. Students who wish to receive the newer version of their certificate program or change to another certificate need to contact the Berklee Online Registrar’s office at to request to have their program changed prior to the completion of their current program. Once a certificate program has been completed, we can no longer make any changes.

I just completed my certificate program and I see that the name of my program has changed on the Berklee Online website. Can you change my certificate program to the newer version and issue me another certificate?

Unfortunately, no. Once a certificate program has been completed, we can no longer make any changes. If a student wishes to receive the newer version of their certificate program or change to another certificate, they need to contact the Berklee Online Registrar’s office at to request to have their program changed prior to the completion of their current program.

What if I want to withdraw from a course or certificate program? Will I be refunded my tuition? Can I transfer my enrollment to another term?

For information about transfers, withdrawals and refunds, please see our Academic Policies.

What happens if my course is canceled?

While we make every effort to run all of our courses, sometimes it is necessary to cancel a course. If this happens, you will be sent an email letting you know your course has been canceled. You will be given the option to transfer into a different course for the current term or transfer to the same course in an upcoming term. Additional tuition may be due if a different course is chosen.

Can I transfer non-Berklee Online credits into a certificate program?

Credits taken at other institutions cannot be transferred into any of the certificate programs currently offered at Berklee Online.

Can I transfer Berklee Online extension school credits towards an undergraduate degree at Berklee College of Music?

Berklee Online courses are transferable for credit into Berklee College of Music. Students wishing to transfer Berklee Online courses must first apply and be accepted to Berklee College of Music through the Admissions Office. Credits may only be applied to a matriculated student’s general elective requirement for Berklee degree and diploma programs. Students can transfer up to two Berklee Online courses. The transfer equivalent will be two credits per online course. A grade of “C” or better in each course is required for transfer approval. The Berklee Online courses must be taken for credit or as part of a certificate program. Only 12-week Berklee Online courses taken for credit are eligible for transfer. The current course catalog for Berklee Online courses is available at

Taking courses with Berklee Online does not constitute or affect acceptance into Berklee College of Music in Boston. To learn more about applying for an undergraduate degree or diploma from Berklee College of Music, please contact the Admissions Department at or by calling 800-BERKLEE or 617-747-2221.

Are Berklee Online credits eligible for transfer to other colleges and universities?

Berklee College of Music is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). Students who want to transfer Berklee Online credits to another college or university should check with their home institutions. Transfer credits are accepted at the discretion of the receiving institution.

Do you offer financial aid?

Yes. We currently offer financial aid in the form of personal education loans through various institutions. Please see the Financial Aid page for more information.

Can I apply for federal financial aid?

At this time we are unable to accept federal financial aid (FAFSA) for our individual online courses and certificate programs. We do, however, have several loan programs we can recommend to assist you in paying for our courses or programs. For more information on our loan programs, please visit our Financial Aid page.

Can I use tuition assistance to pay for a Berklee Online course?

Tuition assistance is for individuals working for an employer that provides this as a benefit as well as for students in all branches of the armed forces. Please check with your employer or your commanding officer concerning your eligibility for this type of financial assistance.

How do I use tuition assistance to pay for a Berklee Online course?

For information about using employer tuition assistance, please click here.

For information about using military tuition assistance, please click here.

Can international students take Berklee Online courses?

Yes! As long as you have an internet connection, you can study with Berklee Online from anywhere in the world.

How many students are in a section?

The maximum class size is 20 students per section.

Where do I go to find the course I enrolled in?

Simply log in to Berklee Online and go to your “My Home” page. Links to the courses you are enrolled in will be located under the “My Courses” heading.

Will I be able to access my course after it has finished?

You will be able to access courses for one year after they end. Please note that once a course officially ends, you will have an additional 30 days, or one month, to post inside the course. Keep in mind that your instructor will not review your posts or respond to messages in the course during this 30-day period unless you have made arrangements for an extension. After that 30-day period, you will continue to have “view only” access to the course for an additional 11 months. During this time, you will not be able to interact with the instructor or post any messages/discussions, but you can continue to review the course material. After this one-year period, we are unable to allow students further access to the course. If you have any questions, please contact Student Support via email at

Do I need to know how to read music to take a course?

It depends on the course. Prerequisites are indicated in the course description and requirements page.

If you are still unsure, you can contact us directly at or at 1.866.BERKLEE or 1.617.747.2146 if outside the US.

Do I need a high-school diploma or equivalent to enroll in a certificate program or take a course for credit?

No. Some of our best students are still in high school, including students from schools that are part of our Music Learning Program. Please contact us at We’d be happy to help you find a course that is right for you.

Can my parent or guardian contact the school on my behalf and obtain information regarding my enrollment?

No. According to FERPA, parents of a college student have no education right to their child’s record regardless if the student is a minor. Parents or guardians who want to know about their child’s academic performance are encouraged to ask their child. We expect that any student who enrolls do so with the understanding that they are responsible enough to manage not only the coursework but also the administrative aspects of their enrollment.

Can I provide my parent or guardian my log in information so that they can view my coursework and can contact my instructors?

No, it is against the Berklee Online Terms of Use for a student to provide their log in and password to anyone. If a parent or guardian would like to view their child’s coursework and grades, they can sit with their child and have them log into their Berklee Online account and can view progress within the courses as well as final grades. Only the registered student should be contacting their instructor.

Who do I contact if I am having technical trouble with the course?

You may contact Student Support by email at or telephone at 1.866.BERKLEE (or 1.617.747.2146 if outside the U.S.), Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST. Student Support will assist you with any problems you have and will do their best to provide a response to your question or inquiry within one business day.

Do I get a certificate of completion when I finish each course?

When you complete an individual course, you will be sent a letter of completion. When you complete a course for credit, you will also be issued a grade which will appear on your permanent Berklee Online transcript. Transcripts are available upon request here. Certificates will be issued to students who have successfully completed all of their certificate program’s requirements and are in good financial standing with Berklee Online.

When will I receive my certificate or letter of completion once I have completed a program or course?

Certificates and letters of completion for students who have successfully completed all of the requirements will be mailed out 8-10 weeks after the term ends. If it has been longer than 10 weeks, you can contact to inquire about the status of your certificate or letter of completion.

What name will be listed on the certificate and where will it be sent?

The name on your certificate will be the same as the name on your account. It is important that you use your proper name when enrolling so your academic records reflect the correct information. Your certificate will be mailed out via USPS to the address we have on file. If you have recently changed your address, please make sure to update this in your student profile as soon as possible to ensure your certificate is mailed to the appropriate address.

How long after the course ends will I receive my grade in the course?

Instructors are to post grades two weeks after the term has ended.

Where can I view my final grade in my course?

You can view your grade by clicking on the “My Academic Record” link from your “My Home” page. Please note that your grade will only be viewable if you have completed the confidential evaluation at the end of the course. Degree students can view their grades here.

Are textbooks, software, and hardware included in tuition costs?

No. The required materials for online courses are not included in tuition and fees. They are available for sale through various bookstores and web retailers.

Do I need to pay the registration and technology fee for every course I take?

Unless you are in a certificate program, there is a $75 registration and technology fee for each Berklee Online course. Certificate programs have a one-time registration and technology fee of $175 due at the time of enrollment into the certificate program.

We use cookies to improve your experience on our sites. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our use of cookies.

Got it