Private Piano Lesson Level 9
Private Piano Lesson Level 9 is an opportunity for you to demonstrate the depth and breadth of the skills you have developed in the piano program.
You will review all techniques covered in Levels 1–8, including scales, arpeggios, and chord progressions. Technique drills will not be part of the final exam.
Working with your instructor, you will choose a program of six pieces to perform in a video-recorded or live-streamed recital. The recital presentation may be completely solo or partially solo and accompanied by backing tracks. Your playing must be video recorded live with a complete view of you at the keyboard. Each piece must demonstrate a range of techniques covered in Levels 1–8, including rhythmic and melodic improvisation on three of the tunes.
Your recital program should be made up of songs in a variety of styles covered in Levels 1–8, and be delivered by week 11.
You will have the opportunity to take a deep dive into all concepts covered in general and focus more closely on specific skills.
By the end of Private Piano Lesson Level 9, you will be able to:
- Perform a solo or track-accompanied recital consisting of six complete pieces demonstrating the range of concepts covered in Levels 1–8 and advanced stylistic awareness
- Perform scales, arpeggios, and chord progressions in selected keys from Levels 1–8
Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements
Completion of Private Piano Lesson Level 8 is required.
- Modern Piano Scales by Susanna Sifter (Berklee Press, 2022)
- Students are required to create notation and submit it in PDF format. Options include:
- Notation software such as Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore (free), Dorico, etc.
- Handwritten notation captured by photo or a scanner
- Piano or keyboard instrument with 88 weighted action keys equipped with a sustain pedal
- If using a MIDI keyboard controller, a sound source, such as a high-quality piano sample library on your computer, is also required.
- If using a digital piano or keyboard workstation without built in speakers, an audio interface is also required.
After enrolling, please check the Getting Started section of your course for potential deals on required materials. Our Student Deals page also features several discounts you can take advantage of as a current student. Please contact email@example.com for any questions.
General Course Requirements
Below are the minimum requirements to access the course environment and participate in Live Chats. Please make sure to also check the Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements section above, and ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements for all software needed for your course.
- Latest version of Google Chrome
- Zoom meeting software
- Speakers or headphones
- External or internal microphone
- Broadband Internet connection