Private Voice Lesson Level 4
Private Voice Lesson Level 4 builds upon the skills developed in Levels 1–3. You will be introduced to the major scale in two octaves. If you plan to self-accompany for the final exam (which is allowed beginning in Level 4), you must be highly proficient on your accompanying instrument. We will continue to explore range, blending, and agility. You will receive feedback from your instructor about developing and practicing your performance skills.
For each semester in Levels 1–6, you are encouraged to perform a song written by an underrepresented composer, or starting with Level 2 you can perform an original song. "Underrepresented" is defined as a group that is not represented in the majority with respect to race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or physical ability. It’s important to note that songs in Levels 1–4 may not be repeated in subsequent semesters. Additionally, all final exam materials for Levels 4–7 must be performed with accompaniment (either backing track, live accompanist, or self-accompaniment if you are highly proficient). A cappella singing is only permitted in special musical circumstances where the arrangement of the song is intended to be performed without accompaniment.
All final exam materials for all levels must be approved by your instructor and performed from memory:
- One exercise (performed in three transpositions) or an etude demonstrating any musical or vocal skill approved by your teacher
- One contemporary musical theater song (circa post-1970)
- Two contrasting songs in any style/genre
By the end of Private Voice Lesson Level 4, you will be able to:
- Sing two octaves of the major scale in three transpositions and a chromatic scale pattern of at least of 3rd in range with accuracy
- Demonstrate effective stage movement and acting in a musical theater piece at an emerging level
- Perform four to five contrasting songs learned throughout the semester
Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements
Completion of Private Voice Lesson Level 3 is required.
- None required
- Students are required to create notation and submit it in PDF format. Options include:
- Notation software such as Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore (free), Dorico, etc.
- Handwritten notation captured by photo or a scanner is acceptable
- Piano or keyboard instrument with at least 61 keys
- If using a MIDI keyboard controller, a sound source is also required.
- If using a digital piano or keyboard workstation without built in speakers, an audio interface is also required.
- Students are required to capture their vocal performance digitally in high quality, as well as monitor their audio output. Options include:
- XLR microphone and audio interface (recommended option)
- USB microphone
After enrolling, please check the Getting Started section of your course for potential deals on required materials. Our Student Deals page also features several discounts you can take advantage of as a current student. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
General Course Requirements
Below are the minimum requirements to access the course environment and participate in Live Chats. Please make sure to also check the Prerequisites and Course-Specific Requirements section above, and ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements for all software needed for your course.
- Latest version of Google Chrome
- Zoom meeting software
- Speakers or headphones
- External or internal microphone
- Broadband Internet connection